Extensive monomicrobial necrotizing fasciitis and myonecrosis of left hemi trunk in a healthy 41-year-old man with COVID-19 infection
Necrotizing fasciitis and myonecrosis caused by Escherichia coli is an extremely uncommon infection with a high mortality. We present a case of 41-year-old man with no history of underlying disease one week after covid-19 infection, who was admitted with symptoms of Fournier's gangrene and then E. coli-induced monomicrobial necrotizing fasciitis.
2. Stevens DL, Bryant AE. Necrotizing soft-tissue infections. N Engl J Med 2017; 377: 2253-2265.
3. Keung EZ, Liu X, Nuzhad A, Adams C, Ashley SW, Askari R. Immunocompromised status in patients with necrotizing soft-tissue infection. JAMA Surg 2013; 148: 419-426.
4. Elliott D, Kufera JA, Myers RA. The microbiology of necrotizing soft tissue infections. Am J Surg 2000; 179: 361-366.
5. Elashry MM, Alagha M, Salama M. Pre and retroperitoneal necrotizing fasciitis after COVID-19 infection: A case report. Radiol Case Rep 2021; 16: 2949-2952.
6. Misiakos EP, Bagias G, Patapis P, Sotiropoulos D, Kanavidis P, Machairas A. Current concepts in the management of necrotizing fasciitis. Front Surg 2014; 1: 36.
7. Lee J, Park S-S, Kim TY, Lee D-G, Kim D-W. Lymphopenia as a biological predictor of outcomes in COVID-19 patients: a nationwide cohort study. Cancers (Basel) 2021; 13: 471.
8. Hakkarainen TW, Kopari NM, Pham TN, Evans HL. Necrotizing soft tissue infections: review and current concepts in treatment, systems of care, and outcomes. Curr Probl Surg 2014; 51: 344-362.
9. Chen IC, Li W-C, Hong Y-C, Shie S-S, Fann W-C, Hsiao C-T. The microbiological profile and presence of bloodstream infection influence mortality rates in necrotizing fasciitis. Crit Care 2011; 15: R152.
10. Barker L, Pringle K, Cusack J. Necrotising fasciitis with Escherichia coli in a newborn infant after abdominal surgery. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2013; 98: F404.
11. Nazir H, Al Yazidi L, Mutani M, Zachariah M. E. coli monomicrobial necrotizing fasciitis in an iron-overloaded adolescent. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2020; 39(4): e40-e41.
12. Habib HM, Ibrahim S, Zaim A, Ibrahim WH. The role of iron in the pathogenesis of COVID-19 and possible treatment with lactoferrin and other iron chelators. Biomed Pharmacother 2021; 136: 111228.
13. Shaked H, Samra Z, Paul M, Madar-Shapiro L, Cohen J, Pitlik S, et al. Unusual "flesh-eating" strains of Escherichia coli. J Clin Microbiol 2012; 50: 4008-4011.
14. Webb LX. New techniques in wound management: vacuum-assisted wound closure. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2002; 10: 303-311.
|Issue||Vol 14 No 5 (2022)|
|Necrotizing fasciitis; COVID-19; Escherichia coli; Vacuum-assisted closure|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|