Case of misdiagnosed melioidosis from Hue city, Vietnam
Melioidosis is an emerging infection, a potentially fatal tropical disease caused by Burkholderia pseudomallei in humans and animals, endemic in Southeast Asia and northern Australia. Diagnosis remains problematic due to its similarity to many other infections. The lack of clinical awareness and correct microbiological diagnosis contributes to the misidentification of melioidosis. We present a melioidosis case, which was misdiagnosed with pneumonia and septicemia due to Aeromonas salmonicida, leading to ineffective prolonged-course antibiotic treatment for the patient.
2. Hoffmaster AR, AuCoin D, Baccam P, Baggett HC, Baird R, Bhengsri S, et al. Melioidosis diagnostic workshop, 2013. Emerg Infect Dis 2015; 21: e141045.
3. Limmathurotsakul D, Golding N, Dance DAB, Messina JP, Pigott DM, Moyes CL, et al. Predicted global distribution of Burkholderia pseudomallei and burden of melioidosis. Nat Microbiol 2016; 1: 15008.
4. Trinh TT, Nguyen LDN, Nguyen TV, Tran CX, Le AV, Nguyen HV, et al. Melioidosis in Vietnam: recently improved recognition but still an uncertain disease burden after almost a century of reporting. Trop Med Infect Dis 2018; 3: 39.
5. Inglis TJJ. The treatment of melioidosis. Pharmaceuticals (Basel) 2010; 3: 1296-1303.
6. Singh M, Mahmood M. Melioidosis: the great mimicker. J Community Hosp Inter Med Perspect 2017; 7: 245-247.
7. Mukhopadhyay A, Lee KH, Tambyah PA. Bacteraemic melioidosis pneumonia: impact on outcome, clinical and radiological features. J Infect 2004; 48: 334-338.
8. Wilks D, Jacobson SK, Lever AM, Farrington M. Fatal melioidosis in a tourist returning from Thailand. J Infect 1994; 29: 87-90.
9. Jin JL, Ning YX. Septicemic melioidosis: a case report and literature review. J Thorac Dis 2014; 6(2): E1-E4.
10. Lau SK, Sridhar S, Ho CC, Chow WN, Lee KC, Lam CW, et al. Laboratory diagnosis of melioidosis: Past, present and future. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2015; 240: 742-751.
11. Inglis TJ, Merritt A, Chidlow G, Aravena-Roman M, Harnett G. Comparison of diagnostic laboratory methods for identification of Burkholderia pseudomallei. J Clin Microbiol 2005; 43: 2201-2206.
12. Scott J (2019). Introduction to WebSim. In; Finding Alphas: A Quantitative Approach to Building Trading Strategies. Ed(s), I Tulchinsky, et al. Wiley Online Library, 2nd ed. United State, pp. 251-261.
13. Glass MB, Popovic T. Preliminary evaluation of the API 20NE and RapID NF plus systems for rapid identification of Burkholderia pseudomallei and B. mallei. J Clin Microbiol 2005; 43: 479-483.
14. Hodgson K, Engler C, Govan B, Ketheesan N, Norton R. Comparison of routine bench and molecular diagnostic methods in identification of Burkholderia pseudomallei. J Clin Microbiol 2009; 47: 1578-1580.
15. Gee JE, Sacchi CT, Glass MB, De BK, Weyant RS, Levett PN, et al. Use of 16S rRNA gene sequencing for rapid identification and differentiation of Burkholderiapseudomallei and B. mallei. J Clin Microbiol 2003; 41: 4647-4654.
16. Srinivasan R, Karaoz U, Volegova M, MacKichan J, Kato-Maeda M, Miller S, et al. Use of 16S rRNA gene for identification of a broad range of clinically relevant bacterial pathogens. PLoS One 2015; 10(2): e0117617.
|Issue||Vol 14 No 3 (2022)|
|Diagnostic errors; Melioidosis; Burkholderia pseudomallei; Aeromonas salmonicida; 16S ribosomal RNA|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|