Biofilm formation and molecular analysis of intercellular adhesion gene cluster (icaABCD) among Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from children with adenoiditis
Background and Objectives: It is well known that Staphylococcus aureus biofilm plays an important role in adenoiditis and biofilm resistance frequently results in failure of therapy. The goal of this study was to evaluate the biofilm production of S. aureus isolates obtained from adenoid specimens and assess the relationship between biofilm formation ability and ica operon genes.
Materials and Methods: A total of 112 adenoid samples were obtained from patients under 15 years old with adenoid hypertrophy. All S. aureus isolates were initially identified by standard microbiological tests and amplification of nuc by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique. Biofilm formation of S. aureus isolates was evaluated and icaADBC genes were detected by PCR technique.
Results: There were 46 isolates (41%) identified as S. aureus. The ability to produce biofilm was detected among total S. aureus isolates. Molecular study of ica operon revealed that 2 (6.3%) and 19 (59.4%) isolates carried icaA and icaD, respectively. The prevalence of icaA + icaD was seen among 11 (34.4%) S. aureus isolates, while icaC and icaB were not detected.
Conclusion: Our findings indicated that icaABCD operon are associated with biofilm formation in S. aureus isolates, however the absence of these genes may not necessarily exclude this property.
2. Cassano P, Gelardi M, Cassano M, Fiorella ML, Fiorella R. Adenoid tissue rhinopharyngeal obstruction grading based on fiberendoscopic findings: a novel approach to therapeutic management. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2003;67: 1303-1309.
3. Bulfamante AM, Saibene AM, Felisati G, Rosso C, Pipolo C. Adenoidal disease and chronic rhinosinusitis in children—is there a Link? J Clin Med 2019;8: 1528.
4. Post JC, Stoodley P, Hall–Stoodley L, Ehrlich GD. The role of biofilms in otolaryngologic infections. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004;12: 185-190.
5. O'Gara JP. ica and beyond: biofilm mechanisms and regulation in Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus aureus. FEMS Microbiol Lett 2007;270: 179-188.
6. Torretta S, Drago L, Marchisio P, Ibba T, Pignataro L. Role of biofilms in children with chronic adenoiditis and middle ear disease. J Clin Med 2019;8: 671.
7. Rajeshwary A, Rai S, Somayaji G, Pai V. Bacteriology of symptomatic adenoids in children. N Am J Med Sci 2013;5: 113-118.
8. Torretta S, Drago L, Marchisio P, Mattina R, Clemente IA, Pignataro L. Diagnostic accuracy of nasopharyngeal swabs in detecting biofilm-producing bacteria in chronic adenoiditis: a preliminary study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2011;144: 784-788.
9. Kania RE, Lamers GE, Vonk MJ, Dorpmans E, Struik J, Tran Ba Huy P, et al. Characterization of mucosal biofilms on human adenoid tissues. Laryngoscope 2008;118: 128-134.
10. Lin CD, Tsai MH, Lin CW, Ho MW, Wang CY, Tsou YA, et al. Association of adenoid hyperplasia and bacterial biofilm formation in children with adenoiditis in Taiwan. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2012;269: 503-511.
11. Foster TJ. Immune evasion by Staphylococci. Nat Rev Microbiol 2005;3: 948-958.
12. Cue D, Lei MG, Lee CY. Genetic regulation of the intercellular adhesion locus in staphylococci. Front Cell Infect Microbiol 2012;2: 38.
13. Rohde H, Frankenberger S, Zähringer U, Mack D. Structure, function and contribution of polysaccharide intercellular adhesin (PIA) to Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilm formation and pathogenesis of biomaterial-associated infections. Eur J Cell Biol 2010;89: 103-111.
14. Ziasistani M, Dabiri S, Fekri Soofi Abadi M, Afshari SAK, Ghaioumy R, Morones-Ramírez JR, et al. Determination of antibiotic resistance genes, immune evasion cluster and agr types among Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from children with adenoiditis. Gene Rep 2020;21: 100875.
15. Stepanović S, Vuković D, Hola V, Di Bonaventura G, Djukić S, Ćirković I, et al. Quantification of biofilm in microtiter plates: overview of testing conditions and practical recommendations for assessment of biofilm production by Staphylococci. APMIS 2007;115: 891-899.
16. Adwan K. Fast DNA isolation and PCR protocols for detection of methicillin-resistant staphylococci. Folia Microbiol (Praha) 2014;59 :5-8.
17. Arciola CR, Baldassarri L, Montanaro L. Presence of icaA and icaD genes and slime production in a collection of Staphylococcal strains from catheter-associated infections. J Clin Microbiol 2001;39: 2151-2156.
18. Cafiso V, Bertuccio T, Santagati M, Campanile F, Amicosante G, Perilli MG, et al. Presence of the ica operon in clinical isolates of Staphylococcus epidermidis and its role in biofilm production. Clin Microbiol Infect 2004;10: 1081-1088.
19. Namvar AE, Asghari B, Ezzatifar F, Azizi G, Lari AR. Detection of the intercellular adhesion gene cluster (ica) in clinical Staphylococcus aureus isolates. GMS Hyg Infect Control 2013;8: Doc03.
20. Pettigrew MM, Gent JF, Revai K, Patel JA, Chonmaitree T. Microbial interactions during upper respiratory tract infections. Emerg Infect Dis 2008;14: 1584-1591.
21. Hamilos DL. Biofilm formations in pediatric respiratory tract infection: part 1: biofilm structure, role of innate immunity in protection against and response to biofilm, methods of biofilm detection, pediatric respiratory tract diseases associated with mucosal biofilm formation. Curr Infect Dis Rep 2019;21: 6.
22. Torretta S, Drago L, Marchisio P, Gaffuri M, Clemente IA, Pignataro L. Topographic distribution of biofilm-producing bacteria in adenoid subsites of children with chronic or recurrent middle ear infections. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2013;122: 109-113.
23. Omidi M, Firoozeh F, Saffari M, Sedaghat H, Zibaei M, Khaledi A. Ability of biofilm production and molecular analysis of spa and ica genes among clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. BMC Res Notes 2020;13: 19.
24. Vancraeynest D, Hermans K, Haesebrouck F. Genotypic and phenotypic screening of high and low virulence Staphylococcus aureus isolates from rabbits for biofilm formation and MSCRAMMs. Vet Microbiol 2004;103: 241-247.
25. Azmi K, Qrei W, Abdeen Z. Screening of genes encoding adhesion factors and biofilm production in methicillin resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from Palestinian patients. BMC Genomics 2019;20: 578.
|Issue||Vol 13 No 4 (2021)|
|Staphylococcus aureus; Adenoids; Chronic infection; Biofilm; Polymerase chain reaction|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|