Acinetobacter endocarditis: a rare nosocomial infection of native heart valves
Acinetobacter baumannii is an opportunistic bacterial pathogen predominantly associated with hospital-acquired infections. Here we present a case of infective endocarditis of native Mitral and Aorta valves caused by A. baumannii in a 73-year-old man. He underwent surgical excision and Pathologic specimen showed A. baumannii growth after 48 hours that was extensively drug-resistant (XDR). He was treated with colistin and tigecycline. Finally, he discharged with no important complication. To our best knowledge, it is the first case of Acinetobacter endocarditis has ever been reported in Iran. Although XDR A. baumannii is a life-threatening pathogen, proper and timely treatment can be life-saving.
2. Pires S, Parker D. Innate immune responses to Acinetobacter baumannii in the airway. J Interferon Cytokine Res 2019; 39:441-449.
3. Sturiale M, Corpina C, Sturiale L. Endocarditis duo to Acinetobacter baumannii. Int J Cardiol 2016; 209:161-163.
4. Lahmidi I , Charmake D 3rd , Elouafi N, Bazid Z. Acinetobacter baumannii native valve infective endocarditis: a case report. Cureus 2020; 12(11): e11527.
5. Howard A, O`Donghue M, Feeney A, Sleator RD. Acinetobacter baumannii: an emerging opportunistic pathogen. Virulence 2012; 3:243-250.
6. Morris FC, Dexter C, Kostoulias X, Uddin MI, Peleg AY. The mechanisms of disease caused by Acinetobacter baumannii. Front Microbiol 2019; 10:1601.
7. Wong D, Nielsen TB, Bonomo RA, Pantapalangkoor P, Luna B, Spellberg B. Clinical and pathophysiological overview of Acinetobacter infections: a century of challenges. Clin Microbiol Rev 2017; 30:409-447.
8. Houghton T, Kaye GC, Meigh RE. An unusual case of infective endocarditis. Postgrad Med J 2002; 78:290-291.
9. Chen Q, Cao H, Lu H, Qiu ZH, He JJ. Bioprosthetic tricuspid valve endocarditis caused by Acinetobacter baumannii complex, a case report and brief review of the literature. J Cardiothorac Surg 2015; 10:149.
10. Sturiale M, Corpina C, Sturiale L. Endocarditis due to Acinetobacter baumannii. Int J Cardiol 2016; 209:161-163.
11. Kumar SS, Vengadassalapathy L, menon T. Prosthetic valve endocarditis caused by Acinetobacter baumannii complex. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2008; 51:573.
12. Hoen B. Duval X. Clinical practice. Infective endocarditis. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1425-1433.
13. Khoshnood S, Svari M, Abbasi Montazeri E, Frajzadeh Sheikh A. Survey on genetic diversity, biofilm formation, and detection of colistin resistance genes in clinical isolates of Acinetobacter baumannii. Infect Drug Resist 2020; 13:1547-1558.
14. Ezadi F, Jamali A, Heidari A, Javid N, Ardebili A. Heteroresistance to colistin in oxacillinases-producing carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii clinical isolates from Gorgan, northern Iran. J Glob Antimicrob Resist 2020; 21:380-385.
15. Freire MP, de Oliveira Garcia D, Garcia CP, Campagnari Bueno MF, Camargo CH, Kono Magri ASG, et al. Bloodstream infection caused by extensively drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in cancer patients: high mortality associated with delayed treatment rather than with the degree of neutropenia. Clin Microbiol Infect 2016; 22:352-358.
|Issue||Vol 13 No 5 (2021)|
|Acinetobacter baumannii; Endocarditis; Heart valve; Nosocomial infection; Multidrug resistance|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|