Lytic potential of a filamentous bacteriophage isolated from sewage water in Tehran on clinical carbapenem-resistant strains
Background and Objectives: Acinetobacter baumannii (A. baumannii), an opportunistic pathogen, has been isolated from sewage, soil, and hospital wards. The prevalence of multidrug-resistance A. baumannii has seriously caused a health crisis in hospital settings. Bacteriophages have been used as an alternative therapy for control carbapenem-resistant bacteria-caused infections. We aimed to assay lytic effect of a filamentous phage on clinical bacterial strains.
Materials and Methods: 500-ml water samples was collected from sewage in Tehran. Sewage samples were precipitated at 6000 rpm for 10 minutes and filtered using 0.45-µm syringe filters. Bacteriophage was isolated using double-layer agar assay and evaluated its stability at various pH and temperature ranges. In addition, the stability of the phage was assayed at chloroform 0.1%.
Results: Transmission electron microscopy imagine showed phage is filamentous called vB-AbaI-TMU2. The phage affected on its own host so that could not effect on any Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Klebsiella pneumoniae strains. vB-AbaI-TMU2 phage was stable at pH 5 and 7 and also temperatures 25 and 37°C. vB-AbaI-TMU2 was stable at chloroform 0.1%. vB-AbaI-TMU2 phage infected carbapenem-resistant A. baumannii strains while other bacterial strains were resistant to.
Conclusion: The present study indicated the isolated phage had a narrow host range and is susceptible to various pH values and temperatures.
2. Doi Y, Murray GL, Peleg AY. Acinetobacter baumannii: evolution of antimicrobial resistance—treatment options. Semin Respir Crit Care Med 2015; 36: 85-98.
3. Manchanda V, Sanchaita S, Singh N. Multidrug resistant acinetobacter. J Glob Infect Dis 2010; 2: 291-304.
4. Mortazavi SM, Farshadzadeh Z, Janabadi S, Musavi M, Shahi F, Moradi M, et al. Evaluating the frequency of carbapenem and aminoglycoside resistance genes among clinical isolates of Acinetobacter baumannii from Ahvaz, south-west Iran. New Microbes New Infect 2020; 38: 100779.
5. Isler B, Doi Y, Bonomo RA, Paterson D. New treatment options against carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii infections. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2018; 63(1): e01110-18.
6. Dent LL, Marshall DR, Pratap S, Hulette RB. Multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii: a descriptive study in a city hospital. BMC Infect Dis 2010; 10: 196.
7. Billiau A. At the centennial of the bacteriophage: Reviving the overlooked contribution of a forgotten pioneer, Richard Bruynoghe (1881–1957). J Hist Biol 2016; 49: 559-580.
8. El-Shibiny A, El-Sahhar S. Bacteriophages: the possible solution to treat infections caused by pathogenic bacteria. Can J Microbiol 2017; 63: 865-879.
9. Loc-Carrillo C, Abedon ST. Pros and cons of phage therapy. Bacteriophage 2011; 1: 111-114.
10. Brix A, Cafora M, Aureli M, Pistocchi A. Animal models to translate phage therapy to human medicine. Int J Mol Sci 2020; 21: 3715.
11. Ackermann H-W, Prangishvili D. Prokaryote viruses studied by electron microscopy. Arch Virol 2012; 157: 1843-1849.
12. Fokine A, Rossmann MJ. Molecular architecture of tailed double-stranded DNA phages. Bacteriophage 2014; 4(1): e28281.
13. Elhariri M, Hamza D, Elhelw R, Dorgham SM. Extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa in camel in Egypt: potential human hazard. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 2017; 16: 21.
14. Turton JF, Woodford N, Glover J, Yarde S, Kaufmann ME, Pitt TL. Identification of Acinetobacter baumannii by detection of the blaOXA-51-like carbapenemase gene intrinsic to this species. J Clin Microbiol 2006; 44: 2974-2976.
15. Odumosu BT, Obeten HI, Bamidele TA. Incidence of multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli Harbouring blaTEM and tetA genes isolated from seafoods in Lagos Nigeria. Curr Microbiol 2021; 78: 2414-2419.
16. Kim H, Ho M. Isolation of antibodies to heparan sulfate on glypicans by phage display. Curr Protoc Protein Sci 2018; 94(1): e66.
17. Kitti T, Thummeepak R, Thanwisai A, Boonyodying K, Kunthalert D, Ritvirool P, et al. Characterization and detection of endolysin gene from three Acinetobacter baumannii bacteriophages isolated from sewage water. Indian J Microbiol 2014; 54: 383-388.
18. Ghajavand H, Esfahani BN, Havaei A, Fazeli H, Jafari R, Moghim S. Isolation of bacteriophages against multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii. Res Pharm Sci 2017; 12: 373-380.
19. Kusradze I, Karumidze N, Rigvava S, Dvalidze T, Katsitadze M, Amiranashvili I, et al. Characterization and testing the efficiency of Acinetobacter baumannii phage vB-GEC_Ab-M-G7 as an antibacterial agent. Front Microbiol 2016; 7: 1590.
20. Lu Z, Breidt F Jr, Fleming HP, Altermann E, Klaenhammer TR. Isolation and characterization of a Lactobacillus plantarum bacteriophage, ΦJL-1, from a cucumber fermentation. Int J Food Microbiol 2003; 84: 225-235.
21. Wu L-T, Chang S-Y, Yen M-R, Yang T-C, Tseng Y-H. Characterization of extended-host-range pseudo-T-even bacteriophage Kpp95 isolated on Klebsiella pneumoniae. Appl Environ Microbiol 2007; 73: 2532-2540.
22. Ryan EM, Gorman SP, Donnelly RF, Gilmore BF. Recent advances in bacteriophage therapy: how delivery routes, formulation, concentration and timing influence the success of phage therapy. J Pharm Pharmacol 2011; 63: 1253-1264.
23. Nováček J, Šiborová M, Benešík M, Pantůček R, Doškař J, Plevka P. Structure and genome release of Twort-like Myoviridae phage with a double-layered baseplate. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2016; 113: 9351-9356.
24. Domingo-Calap P, Delgado-Martínez J. Bacteriophages: protagonists of a post-antibiotic era. Antibiotics (Basel) 2018; 7: 66.
25. Jeon J, D'Souza R, Pinto N, Ryu CM, Park J, Yong D, et al. Characterization and complete genome sequence analysis of two Myoviral bacteriophages infecting clinical carbapenem‐resistant Acinetobacter baumannii isolates. J Appl Microbiol 2016; 121: 68-77.
26. Thawal ND, Yele AB, Sahu PK, Chopade BA. Effect of a novel podophage AB7-IBB2 on Acinetobacter baumannii biofilm. Curr Microbiol 2012; 65: 66-72.
27. Yang H, Liang L, Lin S, Jia S. Isolation and characterization of a virulent bacteriophage AB1 of Acinetobacter baumannii. BMC Microbiol 2010; 10: 131.
|Issue||Vol 14 No 5 (2022)|
|Bacteriophage; Acinetobacter baumannii; Sewage; Drug resistance; Inoviridae|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|