Molecular characterization of healthcare and community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus using phage open-reading frame typing
The polymerase chain reaction-based open reading frame typing (POT) method is a simple and rapid method for the strain-level discrimination of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). We investigated the molecular characteristics of S. aureus strains by multilocus sequencing typing (MLST) and POT and the profiles of antibiotic resistance and virulence genes of MRSA isolates in a single center of Tokyo, Japan. Five types by MLST and 19 types by POT were detected in the 25 MRSA isolates. ST5 and a POT1 score of 93 were associated with healthcare-associated MRSA, whereas ST8 and a POT1 score of 106 were associated with community-associated MRSA. Each strain evaluated by POT score was completely associated with similar profiles of antibiotic resistance and virulence genes. These data showed that the POT system was a powerful molecular tool for the epidemiological characterization of MRSA isolates, which correlated with the profiles of antibiotic resistance and virulence genes.
2. Turner NA, Sharma-Kuinkel BK, Maskarinec SA, Eichenberger EM, Shah PP, Carugati M, et al. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: an overview of basic and clinical research. Nat Rev Microbiol 2019;17: 203-218.
3. Chuang YY, Huang YC. Molecular epidemiology of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Asia. Lancet Infect Dis 2013;13: 698-708.
4. Suzuki M, Tawada Y, Kato M, Hori H, Mamiya N, Hayashi Y, et al. Development of a rapid strain differentiation method for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolated in Japan by detecting phage-derived open-reading frames. J Appl Microbiol 2006;101: 938-947.
5. Maeda T, Saga T, Miyazaki T, Kouyama Y, Harada S, Iwata M, et al. Genotyping of skin and soft tissue infection (SSTI)-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) strains among outpatients in a teaching hospital in Japan: application of a phage-open reading frame typing (POT) kit. J Infect Chemother 2012;18: 906-914.
6. Kawamura H, Tokuda K, Imuta N, Kubota T, Koriyama T, Miyanohara H, et al. Epidemiological analysis of nosocomial MRSA outbreaks using phage open-reading frame typing in a tertiary-care hospital. Jpn J Infect Dis 2016;69: 523-524.
7. Kato H, Ide K, Fukase F, Shimura Y, Yasuda S, Goto H, et al. Polymerase chain reaction-based open reading frame typing (POT) method analysis for a methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) outbreak through breast-feeding in the neonatal intensive care unit. IDCases 2018;12: 1-3.
8. Uehara Y, Mori M, Tauchi M, Nishimura S, Sakurai H, Murai T, et al. First report on USA300 outbreak in a neonatal intensive care unit detected by polymerase chain reaction-based open reading frame typing in Japan. J Infect Chemother 2019;25: 400-403.
9. Ogihara S, Saito R, Sawabe E, Kozakai T, Shima M, Aiso Y, et al. Molecular typing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: Comparison of PCR-based open reading frame typing, multilocus sequence typing, and Staphylococcus protein A gene typing. J Infect Chemother 2018;24: 312-314.
10. Geha DJ, Uhl JR, Gustaferro CA, Persing DH. Multiplex PCR for identification of methicillin-resistant staphylococci in the clinical laboratory. J Clin Microbiol 1994;32: 1768-1772.
11. Lina G, Piémont Y, Godail-Gamot F, Bes M, Peter MO, Gauduchon V, et al. Involvement of Panton-Valentine leukocidin-producing Staphylococcus aureus in primary skin infections and pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis 1999;29: 1128-1132.
12. Enright MC, Day NP, Davies CE, Peacock SJ, Spratt BG. Multilocus sequence typing for characterization of methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible clones of Staphylococcus aureus. J Clin Microbiol 2000;38: 1008-1015.
13. Mehrotra M, Wang G, Johnson WM. Multiplex PCR for detection of genes for Staphylococcus aureus enterotoxins, exfoliative toxins, toxic shock syndrome toxin 1, and methicillin resistance. J Clin Microbiol 2000;38: 1032-1035.
14. Strommenger B, Kettlitz C, Werner G, Witte W. Multiplex PCR assay for simultaneous detection of nine clinically relevant antibiotic resistance genes in Staphylococcus aureus. J Clin Microbiol 2003;41: 4089-4094.
15. Yanagihara K, Araki N, Watanabe S, Kinebuchi T, Kaku M, Maesaki S, et al. Antimicrobial susceptibility and molecular characteristics of 857 methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from 16 medical centers in Japan (2008-2009): nationwide survey of community-acquired and nosocomial MRSA. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2012;72: 253-257.
|Issue||Vol 13 No 4 (2021)|
|Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus; Polymerase chain reaction; Open reading frames; Sequence analysis; Drug resistance; Leucocidin|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|