Astaxanthin protective barrier and its ability to improve the health in patients with COVID-19Astaxanthin protective barrier and its ability to improve the health in patients with COVID-19
Inflammation acts like a double-edged sword and can be harmful if not appropriately controlled. COVID-19 is created through a novel species of coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (2019-nCoV). Elevated levels of inflammatory factors such as interleukin-6 (IL-6), tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α), etc. lead to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and severe complications of infection in the lungs of coronavirus-infected patients. Astaxanthin is a natural and potent carotenoid with powerful antioxidant activity as well as an anti-inflammatory agent that supports good health. The effects of astaxanthin on the regulation of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) pathways and the reduction and suppression of cytokines and other inflammatory agents such as IL-6 and TNF-α have already been identified. Therefore, these unique features can make this natural compound an excellent option to minimize inflammation and its consequences.
2. Yi Y, Lagniton PNP, Ye S, Li E, Xu RH. COVID-19: what has been learned and to be learned about the novel coronavirus disease. Int J Biol Sci 2020;16:1753-1766.
3. Wan S, Yi Q, Fan S, Lv J, Zhang X, Guo L, et al. Relationships among lymphocyte subsets, cytokines, and the pulmonary inflammation index in coronavirus (COVID‐19) infected patients. Br J Haematol 2020;189:428-437.
4. Tay MZ, Poh CM, Rénia L, MacAry PA, Ng LFP. The trinity of COVID-19: immunity, inflammation and intervention. Nat Rev Immunol 2020;20:363-374.
5. Conti P, Ronconi G, Caraffa AI, Gallenga CE, Ross R, Frydas I, et al. Induction of pro-inflammatory cytokines (IL-1 and IL-6) and lung inflammation by coronavirus-19 (COVI-19 or SARS-CoV-2): anti-inflammatory strategies. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 2020;34:11-15.
6. Lu R, Zhao X, Li J, Niu P, Yang B, Wu H, et al. Genomic characterisation and epidemiology of 2019 novel coronavirus: implications for virus origins and receptor binding. Lancet 2020;395:565-574.
7. Chen L, Hao G. The role of angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 in coronaviruses/influenza viruses and cardiovascular disease. Cardiovasc Res 2020;116:1932-1936.
8. Yang Y, Kim B, Lee JY. Astaxanthin structure, metabolism, and health benefits. J Hum Nutr Food Sci 2013;1:1003.
9. Shukla G, Yaparthy N, Vanamali J, Kumar CS. Astashine capsules: an excellent choice to boost immune system. Int J Res Pharmacol Pharmacother 2021;5:235-239.
10. Zhang W, Zhao Y, Zhang F, Wang Q, Li T, Liu Z, et al. The use of anti-inflammatory drugs in the treatment of people with severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): the experience of clinical immunologists from China. Clin Immunol 2020;214:108393.
11. Chia WY, Kok H, Chew KW, Low SS, Show PL. Can algae contribute to the war with Covid-19? Bioengineered 2021;12:1226-1237.
12. Talukdar J, Bhadra B, Dattaroy T, Nagle V, Dasgupta S. Potential of natural astaxanthin in alleviating the risk of cytokine storm and improve health in COVID-19. Biomed Pharmacother 2020;132:110886.
13. Shukla G, Kanade UL, Yadav M, Sabitha M, Kumar CJS. Astashine capsules: a natural antioxidant, anti-inflammatory helps in maintaining lung health and minimizing SARS-CoV-2 effects in Covid-19 infections. Asian J Basic Sci Res 2020;2:28-42.
14. Su S, Wong G, Shi W, Liu J, Lai ACK, Zhou J, et al. Epidemiology, genetic recombination, and pathogenesis of coronaviruses. Trends Microbiol 2016;24:490-502.
15. de Wit E, Van Doremalen N, Falzarano D, Munster VJ. SARS and MERS: recent insights into emerging coronaviruses. Nat Rev Microbiol 2016;14:523-534.
16. Dariya B, Nagaraju GP. Understanding novel COVID-19: its impact on organ failure and risk assessment for diabetic and cancer patients. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 2020;53:43-52.
17. Capeli B, Shao H (2016). A safe & natural broad-spectrum anti-inflammatory: natural astaxanthin. BGG North America, Inc.
18. Moore JB, June CH. Cytokine release syndrome in severe COVID-19. Science 2020;368:473-474.
19. Mehta P, McAuley DF, Brown M, Sanchez E, Tattersall RS, Manson JJ, et al. COVID-19: consider cytokine storm syndromes and immunosuppression. Lancet 2020;395:1033-1034.
20. Zhang C, Wu Z, Li JW, Zhao H, Wang GQ. The cytokine release syndrome in severe COVID-19 and interleukin-6 receptor antagonist tocilizumab may be the key to reduce the mortality. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2020;55:105954.
21. Zhao Y, Zhao Z, Wang Y, Zhou Y, Ma Y, Zuo W. Single-cell RNA expression profiling of ACE2, the receptor of SARS-CoV-2. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2020;202:756-759.
22. Liu L, Wei Q, Lin Q, Fang J, Wang H, Kwok H, et al. Anti–spike IgG causes severe acute lung injury by skewing macrophage responses during acute SARS-CoV infection. JCI Insight 2019;4(4):e123158.
23. Henry BM, Lippi G. Chronic kidney disease is associated with severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) infection. Int Urol Nephrol 2020;52:1193–1194.
24. Matsushita K, Marchandot B, Jesel L, Ohlmann P, Morel O. Impact of COVID-19 on the cardiovascular system: a review. J Clin Med 2020;9:1407.
25. Wang T, Du Z, Zhu F, Cao Z, An Y, Gao Y, et al. Comorbidities and multi-organ injuries in the treatment of COVID-19. Lancet 2020;395(10228):e52.
26. Bikdeli B, Madhavan MV, Jimenez D, Chuich T, Dreyfus I, Driggin E, et al. COVID-19 and thrombotic or thromboembolic disease: implications for prevention, antithrombotic therapy, and follow-up: JACC state-of-the-art review. J Am Coll Cardiol 2020;75:2950-2973.
27. Wang Y, Shi L, Yang H, Duan G, Wang Y. Acute kidney injury is associated with the mortality of coronavirus disease 2019. J Med Virol 2020;92:2335-2337.
28. Rizzo P, Vieceli Dalla Sega F, Fortini F, Marracino L, Rapezzi C, Ferrari R. COVID-19 in the heart and the lungs: could we “Notch” the inflammatory storm? Basic Res Cardiol 2020;115:31.
29. Wu Y, Xu X, Chen Z, Duan J, Hashimoto K, Yang L, et al. Nervous system involvement after infection with COVID-19 and other coronaviruses. Brain Behav Immun 2020;87:18-22.
30. Wang H, Zhang L. Risk of COVID-19 for patients with cancer. Lancet Oncol 2020;21(4):e181.
31. Bornstein SR, Dalan R, Hopkins D, Mingrone G, Boehm BO. Endocrine and metabolic link to coronavirus infection. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2020;16:297-2988.
32. Yuan JP, Peng J, Yin K, Wang JH. Potential health‐promoting effects of astaxanthin: a high‐value carotenoid mostly from microalgae. Mol Nutr Food Res 2011;55:150-165.
33. Ambati RR, Phang SM, Ravi S, Aswathanarayana RG. Astaxanthin: sources, extraction, stability, biological activities and its commercial applications--a review. Mar Drugs 2014;12:128-152.
34. Golkhoo S, Barantalab F, Ahmadi AR, Hassan ZM. Purification of astaxanthin from mutant of Phaffia rhodozyma JH-82 which isolated from forests trees of Iran. Pak J Biol Sci 2007;10:802-805.
35. Najafi N, Ahmadi AR, Hosseini R, Golkhoo S. Gamma irradiation as a useful tool for the isolation of astaxanthin-overproducing mutant strains of Phaffia rhodozyma. Can J Microbiol 2011;57:730-734.
36. Najafi N, Hosseini R, Ahmadi A. Impact of gamma rays on the Phaffia rhodozyma genome revealed by RAPD-PCR. Iran J Microbiol 2011;3:216-221.
37. Najafi N, Hosseini R, Ahmadi AR. The effect of gamma irradiation on astaxanthin synthetase encoding gene in two mutant strains of Phaffia rhodozyma. Iran J Microbiol 2013;5:293-298.
38. Capelli B, Cysewski G (2012). Natural astaxanthin : the worlds’ best kept health secret. 2nd ed. Cyanotech. Hawaii, United States.
39. Vega K, Edwards J, Beilstein P. Subchronic (13-week) toxicity and prenatal developmental toxicity studies of dietary astaxanthin in rats. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 2015;73:819-828.
40. Chew BP, Park JS. Carotenoid action on the immune response. J Nutr 2004;134:257S-61S.
41. Park JS, Mathison BD, Hayek MG, Massimino S, Reinhart GA, Chew BP. Astaxanthin stimulates cell-mediated and humoral immune responses in cats. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2011;144:455-461.
42. Fassett RG, Coombes JS. Astaxanthin: a potential therapeutic agent in cardiovascular disease. Mar Drugs 2011;9:447-465.
43. Bidaran S, Ahmadi AR, Yaghmaei P, Sanati MH, Ebrahim-Habibi A. Astaxanthin effectiveness in preventing multiple sclerosis in animal model. Bratisl Lek Listy 2018;119:160-166.
44. Fakhri S, Abbaszadeh F, Dargahi L, Jorjani M. Astaxanthin: a mechanistic review on its biological activities and health benefits. Pharmacol Res 2018;136:1-20.
45. Wu W, Wang X, Xiang Q, Meng X, Peng Y, Du N, et al. Astaxanthin alleviates brain aging in rats by attenuating oxidative stress and increasing BDNF levels. Food Funct 2014;5:158-166.
46. Grimmig B, Kim SH, Nash K, Bickford PC, Shytle RD. Neuroprotective mechanisms of astaxanthin: a potential therapeutic role in preserving cognitive function in age and neurodegeneration. Geroscience 2017;39:19-32.
47. Hussein G, Nakamura M, Zhao Q, Iguchi T, Goto H, Sankawa U, et al. Antihypertensive and neuroprotective effects of astaxanthin in experimental animals. Biol Pharm Bull 2005;28:47-52.
48. Lin KH, Lin KC, Lu WJ, Thomas PA, Jayakumar T, Sheu JR. Astaxanthin, a carotenoid, stimulates immune responses by enhancing IFN-γ and IL-2 secretion in primary cultured lymphocytes in vitro and ex vivo. Int J Mol Sci 2015;17:44.
49. Kidd P. Astaxanthin, cell membrane nutrient with diverse clinical benefits and anti-aging potential. Altern Med Rev 2011;16:355–364.
50. Fassett RG, Healy H, Driver R, Robertson IK, Geraghty DP, Sharman JE, et al. Astaxanthin vs placebo on arterial stiffness, oxidative stress and inflammation in renal transplant patients (Xanthin): a randomised controlled trial. BMC Nephrol 2008;9:17.
51. Ursoniu S, Sahebkar A, Serban MC, Banach M. Lipid profile and glucose changes after supplementation with astaxanthin: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Med Sci 2015;11:253-266.
52. Lee SJ, Bai SK, Lee SK, Namkoong S, Na HJ, Ha KS, et al. Astaxanthin inhibits nitric oxide production and inflammatory gene expression by suppressing I(Kappa)B kinase-dependent NF-kB activation. Mol Cells 2003;16:97-105.
53. Miyachi M, Matsuno T, Asano K, Mataga I. Anti-inflammatory effects of astaxanthin in the human gingival keratinocyte line NDUSD-1. J Clin Biochem Nutr 2015;56:171-178.
54. Baralic I, Andjelkovic M, Djordjevic B, Dikic N, Radivojevic N, Suzin-Zivkovic V, et al. Effect of astaxanthin supplementation on salivary IgA, oxidative stress, and inflammation in young soccer players. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2015;2015:783761.
55. Yoshihisa Y, Rehman MU, Shimizu T. Astaxanthin, a xanthophyll carotenoid, inhibits ultraviolet‐induced apoptosis in keratinocytes. Exp Dermatol 2014;23:178-183.
56. Speranza L, Pesce M, Patruno A, Franceschelli S, de Lutiis MA, Grilli A, et al. Astaxanthin treatment reduced oxidative induced pro-inflammatory cytokines secretion in U937: SHP-1 as a novel biological target. Mar Drugs 2012;10:890-899.
57. Macedo RC, Bolin AP, Marin DP, Otton R. Astaxanthin addition improves human neutrophils function: in vitro study. Eur J Nutr 2010;49:447-457.
58. Cai X, Chen Y, Xie X, Yao D, Ding C, Chen M. Astaxanthin prevents against lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury and sepsis via inhibiting activation of MAPK/NF-κB. Am J Transl Res 2019;11:1884-1894.
59. Kim YH, Koh HK, Kim DS. Down-regulation of IL-6 production by astaxanthin via ERK-, MSK-, and NF-κB-mediated signals in activated microglia. Int Immunopharmacol 2010;10:1560-1572.
60. Zhou X, Zhang F, Hu X, Chen J, Wen X, Sun Y, et al. Inhibition of inflammation by astaxanthin alleviates cognition deficits in diabetic mice. Physiol Behav 2015;151:412-420.
61. Donoso A, González-Durán J, Muñoz AA, González PA, Agurto-Muñoz C. "Therapeutic uses of natural astaxanthin: an evidence-based review focused on human clinical trials". Pharmacol Res 2021;166:105479.
62. Park JS, Chyun JH, Kim YK, Line LL, Chew BP. Astaxanthin decreased oxidative stress and inflammation and enhanced immune response in humans. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2010;7:18.
63. Andersen LP, Holck S, Kupcinskas L, Kiudelis G, Jonaitis L, Janciauskas D, et al. Gastric inflammatory markers and interleukins in patients with functional dyspepsia treated with astaxanthin. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 2007;50:244-248.
|Issue||Vol 13 No 4 (2021)|
|COVID-19; Interleukin-6; Tumor necrosis factor-alpha; Respiratory distress syndrome; Astaxanthin; Anti-inflammatory agent|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|