Tests with proven value in diagnosis of COVID-19
COVID-19 has literally ravaged the entire world. People from all walks of life are badly affected because of compulsory lockdown around the world. Timely diagnosis is a problem as there is no single test that can achieve the highest acceptable sensitivity. Some of the tests are indeed costly and footing the bill by the governments can cause a tremendous load on the Treasury. As it stands, the current tests are beyond patient means and, thus, the patient would never have it performed. Lastly, there is no consensus as to whether everyone should be tested for COVID-19 and not based on presence of clinical features.Unfortunately, since the disease has been declared a pandemic, all should be considered to be infected unless provenotherwise by the tests that are performed.
2. Khan S, Nabi G, Han G, Siddique R, Lian S, Shi H, et al. Novel coronavirus: how the things are in Wuhan. Clin Microbiol Infect 2020;26:399-400.
3. Wang D, Hu B, Hu C, Zhu F, Liu X, Zhang J, et al. Clinical Characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with novel 2019 coronavirus-infected pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA 2020; 323:1061-1069.
4. Ai T, Yang Z, Hou H , Zhan C, Chen C, Lv W, et al. Correlation of chest CT and RT-PCR testing in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China: a report of 1014 cases. Radiology 2020; 200642. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2020200642.
5. Chung M, BernheimA, Mei X, Zhang N, Huang M, Zeng X, et al. CT imaging features of 2019 novel coronavirus (2019- n Cov). Radiology 2020;295:202-207.
6. Mounesan L, Eybpoosh S, Haghdoost AA, Moradi G, Mostafavi E. Is reporting many cases of COVID-19 in Iran due to strenghth or weakness of Iran's health system? Iran J Microbiol 2020; 12: 73-76.
|Issue||Vol 12 No 3 (2020)|
|Section||Letter to the Editor|
|COVID-19; Diagnostic tests; Lockdown|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|