Improves in external and internal egg quality of Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica) by giving lactic acid bacteria as alternative antibiotic growth promoter
Background and Objectives: An experiment was designed to determine the effect of using lactic acid bacteria as alternative antibiotic growth promoters on external and internal quality of egg’s Coturnix coturnix japonica.
Materials and Methods: Coturnix coturnix japonica (n=240, 14 weeks of age) were randomly distributed into six treatment groups. The treatments were P0 (free antibiotic feed), P1 (free antibiotic feed with 1 gram antibiotic growth promoters (AGP)/100kg feed), P2 (free antibiotic feed with 5 gram probiotic/100kg feed), P3 (free antibiotic feed with 10 grams probiotic/100kg feed), P4 (free antibiotic feed with 5 gram probiotic/200L drinking water), and P5 (free antibiotic feed with 10 gram probiotic/200L drinking water). Probiotic contained Lactobacillus casei (L. casei) and Lactobacillus rhamnosus (L. rhamnosus) culture (1.2 x 108 CFU/gram). To assess the quality parameters, twenty eggs were randomly collected from each treatment at the end of the experimental period, and the data were analysed using one way Anova.
Results: Results of the external quality indicated that egg’s weight, length, and width, along with the shell weight and thickness were significantly different (P<0.05) after treatment. Likewise, the results of internal egg quality indicated that yolk color, height, width, and length, together with the albumen height, width, length, index and haugh unit were significantly different (P <0.05) after treatment.
Conclusion: It was concluded from this research that dietary supplementation with probiotic which contains L. casei and L. rhamnosus could be used in laying Japanese quail with benefit on external and internal egg quality.
2. Costa MC, Bessegatto JA, Alfieri AA, Weese JS, João Filho AB, Oba A. Different antibiotic growth promoters induce specific changes in the cecal microbiota membership of broiler chicken. PLoS One 2017;12(2):e0171642.
3. Shen X, Yi D, Ni X, Zeng D, Jing B, Lei M, et al. Effects of Lactobacillus plantarum on production performance, immune characteristics, antioxidant status, and intestinal microflora of bursin-immunized broilers. Can J Microbiol 2014;60:193-202.
4. Lv L, Yan H, Liu X, Xu Q, Yin C. Growth performance and meat quality of broiler chickens supplemented with chicken-specific Lactobacillus CSL-13 in drinking water. Indian J Anim Sci 2012;82:1415-1422.
5. Stringfellow K, Caldwell D, Lee J, Mohnl M, Beltran R, Schatzmayr G. Evaluation of probiotic administration on the immune response of coccidiosis-vaccinated broilers. Poult Sci 2011;90:1652-1658.
6. Yamazaki M, Ohtsu H, Yakabe Y, Kishima M, Abe H. In vitro screening of lactobacilli isolated from chicken excreta to control Salmonella Enteritidis and Typhimurium. Br Poult Sci 2012;53:183-189.
7. Youn HN, Lee YN, Lee DH, Park JK, Yuk SS, Lee HJ. Effect of intranasal administration of Lactobacillus fermentum CJL-112 on horizontal transmission of influenza virus in chickens. Poult Sci 2012;91:2517-2522.
8. Hanusová E, Hrnčár C, Hanus A, Oravcová M. Effect of breed on some parameters of egg quality in laying hens. Acta Fytotechn Zootechn 2015;18:20-24.
9. Orhan H, Eyduran E, Tatliyer A, Saygici S. Prediction of egg weight from egg quality characteristics via ridge regression and regression tree methods. Rev Bras Zootec 2016;45:380-385.
10. Hayirli A, Esenbuğa N, Macit M, Yörük MA, Yıldız A, Karaca H. Nutrition practice to alleviate the adverse effects of stress on laying performance, metabolic profile and egg quality in peak producing hens: II. The probiotic supplementation. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2005;18: 1752-1760.
11. Ehrmann MA, Kurzak P, Bauer J, Vogel RF. Characterization of Lactobacilli towards their use as probiotic adjuncts in poultry. J Appl Microbiol 2002;92:966-975.
12. Fulton RM, Nersessian BN, Reed WM. Prevention of Salmonella enteritidis infection in commercial ducklings by oral chicken egg-derived antibody alone or in combination with probiotics. Poult Sci 2002;81:34-40.
13. Balevi T, Ucan US, Coskun B, Kurtoglu V, Cetingul IS. Effect of dietary probiotic on performance and humoral immune response in layer hens. Br Poult Sci 2001;42:456-461.
14. Jadamus A, Vahjen W, Simon O. Growth behaviour of a spore forming probiotics strain in the gastrointestinal tract of broiler chicken and piglets. Arch Tierernahr 2001;54:1-17.
15. Burkholder KM, Thompson KL, Einstein ME, Applegate TJ, Patterson JA. Influence of stressors on normal intestinal microbiota, intestinal morphology, and susceptibilityto Salmonella enteritidis colonization in broilers. Poult Sci 2008;87:1734-1741.
16. Nahashon SN, Nakaue HS, Mirosch LW. Production variables and nutrient retention in Single Comb White Leghorn laying pullets fed diets supplemented with direct-fed microbials. Poult Sci 1994;73:1699-1711.
17. Schneitz C, Kiiskinen T, Toivonen V, Näsi M. Effect of Broilact on the physicochemical conditions and nutrient digestibility in the gastrointestinal tract of broilers. Poult Sci 1998;77:426-432.
18. Jin LZ, Ho YW, Abdullah N, Jalaludin S. Digestive and bacterial enzyme activities in broilers fed diets supplemented with Lactobacillus cultures. Poult Sci 2000;79:886-891.
19. Thomas KS, Amutha R, Purushothaman MR, Jagatheesan PN, Valavan SE. Effect of feeding different levels of energy and lysine on egg quality characteristics of tanuvas namakkal gold Japanese quail hens. Int J Sci Environ Technol 2018; 7:1893-1898.
20. Ayasan T, Ozcan BD, Baylan M, Canogullari S. The effects of dietary inclusion of probiotic protexin on egg yield parameters of Japanese quails (Coturnix coturnix japonica). Int J Poult Sci 2006;5:776-779.
21. Zeweil HS, Eid YZ, Zahran S, Dosoky W, Salma H, Abu Hafsa, et al. Effect of different levels of Aspergillus Awamori as probiotic on the production and egg quality of laying Japanese quail under summer conditions. Egypt Poult Sci 2016;36: 53-65.
22. Sekeroglu A, Altuntas E. Effects of egg weight on egg quality characteristics. J Sci Food Agric 2009;89:379-383.
23. Yörük MA, Gül M, Hayirli A, Macit M. The effects of supplementation of humate and probiotic on egg production and quality parameters during the late laying period in hens. Poult Sci 2004;83:84-88.
24. Bozkurt M, Küçükyýlmaz K, Ayhan V, Çabuk M, Çatli AU. Performance of layer or broiler breeder hens varies in response to different probiotic preparations. Ital J Anim Sci 2011;10:162-69.
25. Nowaczewski S, Witkiewicz K, Kontecka HE, Krystianiak ST, Rosiński AN. Eggs weight of Japanese quail vs. eggs quality after storage time and hatchability results. Arch Anim Breed 2010;53:720-730.
26. Petek M, Başpinar H, Oğan MM, Balci F. Effects of egg weight and length of storage period on hatchability and subsequent laying performance of quail. Turk J Vet Anim Sci 2005;29:537-542.
27. Duman M, Sekeroglu A, Yildirim A, Eleroglu H, Camci O. Relation between egg shape index and egg quality characteristics. Europ Poult Sci 2016;80:1-9.
28. Duru M, Duru AA, Karadaş K, Eyduran E, Cinli H, Tariq MM. Effect of carrot (daucus carota) leaf powder on external and internal egg characteristics of hy-line white laying hens. Pakistan J Zool 2017;49:129-137.
29. Lokapirnasari WP, Dewi AR, Fathinah A, Hidanah S, Harijani N. Effect of probiotic supplementation on organic feed to alternative antibiotic growth promoter on production performance and economics analysis of quail. Vet World 2017;10:1508-1514.
30. Nami Y, Haghshenas B, Almasi A, Abdullah N, Radiah D, Rosli R, et al. Isolation and characterization of probiotics from dairies. Iran J Microbiol 2017;9:234-243.
|Issue||Vol 11 No 5 (2019)|
|Lactobacillus casei; Lacrobacillus rhamnosus; Japanese quail; External and internal egg quality|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|