A simple method for in-house Pfu DNA polymerase purification for high-fidelity PCR amplification
Background and Objectives: Pfu DNA polymerase is an enzyme that exhibits the lowest error rate in the 3´ to 5´ exonuclease (proofreading) activity during DNA synthesis in Polymerase Chain Reactions (PCRs). This study was aimed to express and purify Pfu DNA polymerase in a bacterial expression system under a simple purification method.
Materials and Methods: Pfu polymerase gene sequence, derived from Pyrocuccus furiosus (Pfu) genomic DNA, was cloned and overexpressed in E. coli BL21 (DE3) pLysS. Upon overexpression, bacterial lysate containing the Pfu DNA polymerase was heated at 94°C for 5 minutes. Pfu DNA polymerase having high thermal stability was retained while the other bacterial proteins were denatured. The resulting thermo stable Pfu DNA polymerase was separated from the other debris of the denatured proteins by simple centrifugation.
Results: The enzymatic activity of the resulting Pfu DNA polymerase was estimated by comparing with the commercial Pfu DNA Polymerases. An estimated 50000 units of functional Pfu DNA polymerase was produced from a 400 ml culture.
Conclusion: The in-house produced Pfu DNA Polymerase could be used for routine amplification that requires high-fidelity such as cloning and DNA sequencing.
2. Cline J, Braman J, Hogrefe H. PCR fidelity of pfu DNA polymerase and other thermostable DNA polymerases. Nucleic Acids Res 1996;24:3546-3551.
3. Uemori T, Sato Y, Kato I, Doi H, Ishino Y. A novel DNA polymerase in the hyperthermophilic archaeon, Pyrococcus furiosus: gene cloning, expression, and characterization. Genes Cells 1997;2:499-512.
4. Uemori T, Ishino Y, Toh H, Asada K, Kato I. Organization and nucleotide sequence of the DNA polymerase gene from the archaeon Pyrococcus furiosus. Nucleic Acids Res 1993;21:259-265.
5. McInerney P, Adams P, Hadi MZ. Error rate comparison during polymerase chain reaction by DNA polymerase. Mol Biol Int 2014;2014:10.1155/2014/287430.
6. Bing LI, Cheng GU, Jindong Z. Molecular cloning and expression of Pfu DNA polymerase gene and its application in long-distance PCR. Chin Sci Bull 1998;43:863-867.
7. Chae YKJW, Kyoung Suk CHO. Rapid and simple method to prepare functional Pfu DNA polymerase expressed in Escherichia coli periplasm. J Microbiol Biotechnol 2002;12:841-843.
8. Dabrowski S, Kur J. Cloning and expression in Escherichia coli of the recombinant his-tagged DNA polymerases from Pyrococcus furiosus and Pyrococcus woesei. Protein Expr Purif 1998;14:131-138.
9. Hu JH, Wang F, Liu CZ. Development of an efficient process intensification strategy for enhancing Pfu DNA polymerase production in recombinant Escherichia coli. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 2015;38:651-659.
10. Sun Z, Cai J. Purification of recombinant Pfu DNA polymerase using a new JK110 resin. Korean J Chem Eng 2006;23:607-609.
11. Lu C, Erickson HP. Expression in Escherichia coli of the Thermostable DNA Polymerase from Pyrococcus furiosus. Protein Expr Purif 1997;11:179-184.
12. Schindelin J, Arganda-Carreras I, Frise E, Kaynig V, Longair M, Pietzsch T, et al. Fiji: an open-source platform for biological-image analysis. Nat Methods 2012;9:676-682.
13. Śpibida M, Krawczyk B, Olszewski M, Kur J. Modified DNA polymerases for PCR troubleshooting. J Appl Genet 2017;58:133-142.
14. Kim SW, Kim D-UU, Kim JK, Kang L-WW, Cho H-SS. Crystal structure of Pfu, the high fidelity DNA polymerase from Pyrococcus furiosus. Int J Biol Macromol 2008;42:356-361.
15. Ding Y, Liu S, Qi Q. Preparation of Taq DNA polymerase by thermal purification. Anhui Agric Sci 2011;12:375-378.
16. Chen S, Zheng X, Cao H, Jiang L, Liu F, Sun X. A simple and efficient method for extraction of Taq DNA polymerase. Electron J Biotechn 2015:8-11.